Stacey's Trip to China

I am Studying Abroad in Shanghai, China for 6 weeks! I thought I would share some of my thoughts, stories, and experiences with you. Enjoy and leave me messages!

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Oh goodness

Oh my goodness, it's been forever since my last real post... or so it seems. Things have been so busy around here that I just have not gotten a minute to write. I'm sorry to everyone who is waiting for emails. They are so backed up right now that I will just to answering and speaking to most of you through here. I hope that's alright. Okay, let me tell you a little bit about what's been going on in my life.

Well... all weekend long and for the past few days I have been doing homework continuously. Unfortunately I am still not done. I actually still have a lot to do. I hope to get it all done before Erin comes into town tomorrow night. But as I said in my last post, I passed Chinese with flying colors. I also did my presentation on my paper (that is still not done). It went really well! I did it on the suicide phenomenon here in China, and it was a lot of statistics, which was quite different from most of the philosophy majors' presentations, but Ni seemed pleased and during question time I had a ton of feedback from the class. Hopefully now that all of my research is done, the paper will go a little faster. But I still have to do my take-home exam and I have to write 2 journals in the next 2 weeks. I'm coming up against a brick wall on what my journals will be on... but I'm sure I will come up with something.

So this afternoon I met with Nancy again. I made my way out to PuDong by myself (yay!). I took the bus to the subway station and the subway across town to the station that she told me and she was waiting for me in KFC. I must say, I enjoy the fact that I can figure out where to go and I am getting to know my way around. Dad, I'm sure you understand this feeling in a big city. Yesterday I was in a taxi and I was a little worried about the taxi driver taking the long way because I couldn't figure out where I was, but then I spotted a building that I recognized and I knew that I was really close. (Actually, that taxi driver was amazing. Right after we got off the highway, we still had about a 4 minute drive but for some reason he stopped the meter! He could have gotten another 5 kuai out of me! I was very impressed...)

So we met up and went to the new copy market... nothing I haven't seen, but it's good to know where it is now for when Erin gets here. Then we went to eat at Moon River Diner (again, it's amazing!) where her husband Steve met us. We had a great dinner with great conversation, and then they took me back to their apartment in PuDong. It was bbeeaauuttiful! They live in this huge complex that holds a couple thousand people. They live in one of about 15 buildings on the complex. Their apartment is on the 20th floor and it overlooks PuDong. They have a corner and tons of windows so it was just incredible to see. The weather was cool and windy today, so it was perfect for hanging out on their deck. Um... the apartment is new within the past year; it has wood floors, 4 bedrooms, a really nice kitchen, and 2 nice bathrooms. Man, it really was incredible. That was the first nice apartment that I've seen since being here in China. But I kind of expected it all because PuDong is the nice area of town. It reminded me a lot of Chicago. There were actually trees! and parks! I now see why so many foreigners enjoy that part of town.

So I didn't get home from there until super late. Nancy and I were talking and we lost track of time. By the time I looked at the time it was 10:30 and the last subway was going to leave in about 15min. So I ended up taking a taxi home, which was expensive since it was clear across town. It was only $9 USD, but that is really expensive here. But Nancy lectured the cab driver about how he was getting me home :o) She told me what landmarks to look out for, and he listened to her! He also went really fast so time-wise I didn't get charged more.

Um... let’s see. Erin comes tomorrow night but we don't leave for Tibet until early Friday morning, so that will be nice to have her here. Let's hope she isn't too big of a distraction :o) Oh and the plans have been confirmed. We are for sure taking the train back from Tibet! I'm so excited! (Well... kind of. It's a 26 hour train ride! Blah!). But it will be an experience of a lifetime. Dad, it sounds like you are reading many different opinions on this train. You're right, in some ways it will be good for Tibet (bringing in food, materials, ect.) but in other ways it will be terrible. Free Tibet is VERY much against this train because it will bring more tourists and Chinese Government officials in. Unfortunately it will ruin much of the culture there. It will cause Tibet to be much more commercialized. So I am very grateful that I will get to go before it gets too bad. Wow... I can't believe it. I'm going to Tibet!!

Okay, on to emails.

Sheila, your email made me laugh SO hard! You're right, 3 of my most favorite things are Joe, Weddings and Facebook. I'm so glad that you could get all 3 into an email for me! Hahah! I received the same message from Ang!! Yay! We will be going to a wedding this fall! WAY excited! (I'm sure Joe and Zolo will be as well... hm...) And I hope that you and Joe are friends on Facebook now. What a freak accident! How could you guys have possibly overlooked that!? Crazy... after all we've been through. Well, you should be moving into your apartment at this very moment! I hope it's amazing and that things go well with your roommate. I can't believe that you are starting Med School in a little more than a week! My Sheila is growing up! I can't wait to come and visit you (on Tuesday's of course!) Agh, I can't wait to call you when I get back. I miss your voice and your craziness...

Alex, thank you for your email! Your trip home sounds terrible. I hate it when problems happen with my flights. You seem to have handled it like a pro. I hope you had a fabulous time! It sounds and looks like you did! When do you go back to school? We need to set up a double-date ASAP! Let me know... love and miss you!

Leah, I'm not sure if you will get this before you head off camping, but I'll write anyway. So excited that you can come to my house on the 7th for dinner (Mom did you get that?) It sounds like the wedding went really well. I can't wait to see pictures and hear all about it. I'm sure you looked hot too.. You were wearing some of the cutest shoes I've ever seen! AAHH! I can't wait to see your engagement pictures! Who did you end up hiring? Oh I bet they will look amazing :o) Um... ok can't wait until camp. Let me know how orientation goes k? You should follow Erin out there when you go. She will be spending the night, but I don't want you to get lost. (Erin, call Leah about this. Her number is in my cell if you need it.)

Mom and Dad, thanks for the emails! Dad, I'm glad that you could finally find a minute when mom wasn't on the computer to email me. For as computer illiterate as she is, she sure is on there a lot! ;o) Also, thanks for getting my oil change and the other thing is all taken care of. Mom, Nancy told me that you sent the nicest email to her. I could tell that she enjoyed hearing from you, and her email back to you was really sweet. I can't believe that you actually stayed up past midnight to get to the airport! I'm impressed! You will have to do it again in 2 weeks! Are you going to take off on the 7th to hang out with me? I hope so... Joe has to work since he is taking the next week off. Plus, it would be amazing to have a real American breakfast :o) Katherine sounds just precious. I can't wait to meet her! I wish I could have been at the airport... I think I've been there for most of the kids. And if not at the airport, at their baptisms. Tell Aunt Nanc that I will have to stop in when I get home. I'm glad that everything is getting worked out with Grandpa and Grandma. I hope they are doing better. Good think Uncle John took care of that doctor. Isn't he the doctor that we don't like? Oh! I got an email from Mr. Branon today. It was really sweet. I'm going to miss a Mell party. They are having it the day before I get back. Oh well. Anyways, I love you guys a lot.

Sister-Erin! So glad that you are finally back! It sounds like you had an amazing trip! You have experienced things that I have only dreamed about. It's too bad you couldn't take one of those babies’s home huh? I can't wait to see your pictures and hear all about it. The pictures that you tried to send me didn't work. If you would just set up a Facebook account you could put your pictures up there! Mary is even on now!! Get with the program! Um... I will set up an appointment when I get back for us to head into BE. I want to make sure that you get your dress before I take the other girls in there. Man, I've been just freaking out about this wedding over here. I have too much time to think about it and all of these questions and things to do keep popping into my head. I sent Becca this huge email the other day about what in the world I was going to do with my hair. I told her that I need to stylist help because I just can't decide on anything. Who knew that I could be wishy-washy?! Man I wish you weren't going away to college in the fall! I can't put you to work then! (Don't worry; I'll save it all for Thanksgiving break, Christmas break AND Spring Break! Don't make any plans!) I love you and miss you lots! Don't forget about looking into getting up to GA between the 13th and the 19th!

Last but not least, Joe. Thank you for all of the emails. I feel as though I have been neglecting you. I'm going to send you one right now before I head off to bed. I love you and miss you tons!!

Alright, well, that's it for now. I will try to post again tomorrow. It all depends on what Erin and I do and how much of my homework I can get done. I'll make sure to post before I leave on Friday though! Goodnight!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

Saturday, August 05, 2006 4:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like it! Good job. Go on.
»

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 6:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home