Stacey's Trip to China

I am Studying Abroad in Shanghai, China for 6 weeks! I thought I would share some of my thoughts, stories, and experiences with you. Enjoy and leave me messages!

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Getting Ready

Well, my time here in Shanghai is almost done! I can't believe it. I really will miss the city a lot. This experience has been absolutely amazing and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I will have one and a half days left here in the city when I get back from Tibet, but today really feels like my last day. Crazy.

So tomorrow morning at 6am we are leaving the dorm for the airport. We are flying out at about 8am. I guess we are supposed to be in Lhasa late tomorrow afternoon. I'm so excited for this week in Tibet! It will be an amazing, life-changing experience. I will be getting back into Shanghai on the 4th, so I will probably blog one or 2 more times before I get home. Unfortunately you will have to go a week without hearing from me. The likelihood of having internet access in Tibet is slim to none, and I am not going to hull this computer there if there is a chance of not even being able to use it. I'm attempting to pack light (Dad, don't laugh). My plan is to use just my new carry-on sized suitcase and a backpack for a week. I think I should be able to do it. The only difficult part will be trying to fit my warm clothes into it.

So, a little run-down on my schedule for Tibet.

28th: Leave ECNU at 6am, fly out at 8am.. 2 hour layover an finally get to Lhasa at about 3:30pm. We have a 2 hour busride into Lhasa from the airport and then we spend the rest of the day acclimatizing.

29th: We will visit the Drepung monastery and the Sara Temple to see a Buddhist debate.

30th: Visit Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple, and free-time in Lhasa

31st: Travel from Lhasa to Nyingchi on an all day busride. Supposedly the road that we are taking is beautiful and we will be making lots of stops at random places on the way. We will pass over Mila Mountain, stop at Basum Lake and then stay overnight in Nyingchi

1st: Tour a major Buddhist templ, see the "King of Cypress" and then ride the bus back following the Niyang River to Lhasa.

2nd: Take the new Tibetian train to Xining (26 hour train ride)

3rd: Arrive in Xining around noon and visit China's largest salt water lake, Qinghia Lake in the afternoon

4th: Fly back to Shanghai in the morning. Arrive around noon.

So now you have the lowdown and you can check out some of the places on the internet if you want.

Um... let's see. Erin got here last night. We took the subway downtown to the lighted part of the city for dinner. It was really nice to see it all at night. We had a good time.

Today we went to the DVD store, then down to Pudong so that I could take Erin and Amara to Moon River Diner. We enjoyed our last American meal for a week. It was fabulous. After that we went around in the new copy market. Erin had a shopping list from her Aunt to fill, so Amara and I just went into the stores and looked around. All-in-all it was a great last day before Tibet!

Tonight I will be finishing my homework and packing. So nothing too interesting going on right now.

I guess that is all. Thank you everyone for the emails. I'm sorry that I have not had time to email back. Erin, check my previous blog. I don't have time to email you, I'm sorry!

Okay, well, I will be writing you again when I get back from Tibet! Love and miss you all and thank you for the continued prayers!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work. thnx!
»

Thursday, August 10, 2006 6:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home