Stacey's Trip to China

I am Studying Abroad in Shanghai, China for 6 weeks! I thought I would share some of my thoughts, stories, and experiences with you. Enjoy and leave me messages!

Saturday, August 05, 2006

36 more hours!

I'm back in Shanghai! But, I leave here in 24 hours (I'll be back in Chicago in 38 hours, and then GR 4 hours after that). It's kind of bittersweet right now. I didn't realize how accustomed I got to this place, but it will be sad to see it go. Although I have discovered that I do not enjoy living in the middle of a big city, it does have its perks and it will be an adjustment to be back in a small city (I just keep telling myself that I will finally be able to breath fresh air and drive my car!!)

Well, Tibet was absolutely incredible. AMAZING! I wouldn't even know where to begin by describing it, and it would take hours upon hours to write everything about it. So I think I will just talk about a few highlights and then when you see me you can ask more questions if you would like.

First, I would like to say that if anyone ever gets the chance to visit Tibet, do it! You may want to do it fast because it is RAPIDLY changing, especially with the new train. While it is nice to have some modernization, I am afraid of what it will become in a few years. And, if you do get to Tibet, get out of Lhasa at least for a few days! That being said, here are some of my favorite parts of the trip.

1) Being up in the mountains! In Lhasa we were over 12,000 feet in the air at all times, which for those of you who went to Colorado and climbed Horn Peak, that was 13,450 (?) feet, so remember the altitude? Well, this was just as bad. But the landscape of Tibet was COMPLETELY different than I had ever imagined. I saw 7 Years in Tibet many many years ago, and from what I remember, there was a lot of dirt and dust and mountains. Well, in Lhasa that is true and in a few other places, but for the most part it is lush and green. It was like the Rocky Mountains times 10. It was so incredibly beautiful. I was so thankful for that 2 day bus trip because we saw a good part of the country. We did see a lot of the country on the train ride as well, but going north, it wasn't nearly as beautiful. In the south there are huge rocky mountains with beautiful rivers. In the north are plains, some mountains, more rolling hills, snow and deserts. I will try to post a few pictures after this post.

2) The bus trip. While it was long and annoying to be stuck on a bus so long, we saw the beautiful land and made some pretty amazing stops.

3) On the first day of the bus trip we were going in and out of crazy weather. At one point towards the very end of our trip we saw an amazing rainbow. We pulled over on the side of the road for pictures. It was vibrant with every color. From red-violet. We then noticed that not only was it a complete rainbow, but it was a double-complete rainbow! Once we got back on the bus I pulled out my Bible and read about God's promise with the rainbow.

4) The people. The people of Tibet are the kindest, most wonderful people I have ever been in contact with. They were so incredible. We met monks, towns people, Chinese and Tibetans. The best group of people that we met was on the bus ride. Our 2nd day we stopped in a mountain Tibetan town and went into a Tibetan home and spoke with the owners for awhile. Later that day we stopped along the side of a road at a Yak farm and spoke to the Nomads that owned the farm! These people lived in Yak fur tents and lived off of the land. It was amazing. Another huge impact on this trip was our tour guide. He was the same guide from last year. Ni and Shang loved him so much that they got him back. His name is Tensing and he was a Buddhist monk for 15 years. When his father died he stopped being a monk in order to provide for his 3 brothers. He speaks Tibetan (He is Tibetan rather than Chinese), Chinese and amazing English. He was so comfortable with us that he gave his open opinion on the China/Tibet issue. This is not common at all, so we were very blessed.

5) Finally, I think the most amazing part of this trip was seeing God work through me. Not only did I have a great time with the group and feel as though I formed some sort of a bond, but most importantly I was able to witness. God has been working in Erin's life these past few weeks and he put us together on that trip so that I was able to talk to her and be a witness to her. Right before the trip she had a "God experience" at her apartment. When she came into Shanghai she felt comfortable enough to share it with me. From there we talked more about it and when we got to Lhasa I felt God telling me to pull out my Bible (I almost forgot it! For some reason I remembered it and fit it into my suitcase at the last minute!) and we began to read the Bible together. This continued throughout the week, and for the first time in her life, Erin is reading the Bible (she left Shanghai today with my Bible for her last 2 weeks here), praying and she is letting God work through her life. I can't wait to share more about her experience once I get home, but God is so good. I feel so completely in awe that God would choose me to be here at this time, and would work through me to help Erin. She told me over and over again this past week how amazing is it that God would bring us together so that I could be there for her. Mom, you wrote in an email that you were praying that I could minister to someone, well God answered that prayer. I did, and she just happened to be right under my nose this whole time. I can't wait for you to meet her. She is very excited to meet you, and she keeps telling me that she is going to tell you the truth about me... unfortunately she has stored up all my brattiness and she is excited to tell you about the awful things that I do to her :o) She is bound and determined to win you over, I told her that she already has.

I have so much more to say about Tibet, but unfortunately I do not have the time. I have plenty to do before leaving tomorrow. As for all of you who have emailed me in the past week, I apologize, but there is no way that I can email all 30 of you back. Here are a few shout-outs to people.

April, I thought of you SO often while I was in Tibet! I know how much you loved it when you were there 3 years ago (can you believe that it has been that long!?) I can't wait to sit and talk to you about it. SO excited that you are coming up Labor Day Weekend. I'll be camping with Joe, but I WILL be seeing you sometime that weekend. Update me on your situation down in Florida. I would love to hear about what you are learning. Call me soon K? I'll be around on Monday!

Sarah, Megan and Leah. Can't WAIT to see you on Monday!!! Sarah and Megan, good luck on your exams Monday night and get to my house ASAP! Leah, have a wonderful last few days with Adam. I think he might be leaving today or maybe yesterday? Be strong, I know you can do it. We will have all of camp next week to sit and chat!

Miss Alex. Thank you for the emails! I miss you so much and I can't wait to see you. I do have Grey's for you. Since I have been watching it here, and I only have a few more episodes to go, you will get my copy! This one isn't the greatest quality, but it will do until the real one comes out right? (I shouldn't expect it to be great quality, it was only $8!) So when I see you, you can hold possession of mine. And you're right, that is WAY random with Dave. We'll talk more about this when I get home.

Mom and Dad. Thank you for your many emails. I loved every single one of them and I would often read them to Erin. Thanks for promising to bring me the fountain pop! I'm so excited for it! I have been talking about fountain pop since I got here... (April, Lauren Mussin, Sheila, aren't you proud?) That Diet Coke will be the most amazing Diet Coke I have ever tasted. I can't wait to see you guys and I can't wait to spend Monday with you Mom. Have a fabulous weekend up north!

Joe, I hope your first day of Macker went well! Wish I could be there to cheer you on. My mom talked to your mom about coming for dinner on Monday... did you forget to ask them? Well tell them that I would love it if they could be there, but if not then hopefully I will see them either Friday or Saturday? (Or if your mom wants to come to the talent show on Thursday that would be great too!) Oh and I forgot to tell you. Since I come in so late on Sunday night, there is a nice air-mattress in the basement with your name on it. Just bring your work clothes for Monday. That way you won't have to make the late drive into Lowell.

Alright, well next time I talk to you it will hopefully be in person or through a phone! This will be my last blog. Can you believe it? Thank you to everyone who has been reading and sending me encouraging emails and who have been praying for me. They helped get me through this incredible trip. God has blessed me so much through this trip and I am glad that I was able to share it with you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home